Bibliography or teaching and learning vocabulary
Major recommended books:
Nation, Paul. 2001. Learning Vocabulary in Another Language (Cambridge Applied Linguistics). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press
Publication Date: April 2, 2001 | ISBN-10: 0521804981 | ISBN-13: 978-0521804981 | Edition: 1
Learning Vocabulary in Another Language provides a detailed survey of research and theory on the teaching and learning of vocabulary with the aim of providing pedagogical suggestions for both teachers and learners. It contains descriptions of numerous vocabulary learning strategies which are justified and supported by reference to experimental research, case studies, and teaching experience. It also describes what vocabulary learners need to know to be effective language users. Learning Vocabulary in Another Language shows that by taking a systematic approach to vocabulary learning, teachers can make the best use of class time and help learners get the best return for their learning effort. It will quickly establish itself as the point of reference for future vocabulary work.
Coady, James & Huckin, thomas. 1997. Second language vocabulary acquisition: A rationale for pedagogy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Selected relevant papers:
- Zimmerman, Cheryl Boyd: "Historiacal trends in second language vocabulary instruction," pp. 5-19
- Laufer, Batia: "The lexical plight in second language reading: Words you don't know, words you thihnk you know, and words you can't guess", pp/ 20-34
- Paribacht, T. Sima & Wesche, Marjorie: "Vocabulary enhancement activities and reading for meaning in second language vocabulary," pp. 174-200
- Hulstijn, Jan: "Mnemonic methods in foreign language vocabulary learning: Theoretical considerations and pedagogical implications," pp. 203-224
- Coady, James: "L2 vocabulary acquisition through extensive reading," pp. 225-237
- Nation, Paul & Newton, Jonathan: "Teaching vocabulary," pp. 238-254
- Lewis, Michael: "Pedagogical implications of the lexical approach," pp. 255-270
- Coady, jems: "L2 vocabulary acquisition: A synthesis of the research," pp. 273-290
Schmitt, Norbert & Michael McCarthy (Eds.). 1997. Vocabulary: Description, Acquisition and Pedagogy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Selected relevant papers:
- Nation, Paul & Robert Waring: "Vocabulary size, text coverage and word lists." pp. 6-19
- Moon, Rosamund: "Vocabulary connections: multi-word items in English." pp. 40-63
- Ryan, A.: "Learning the orthographical form of L2 vocabulary: A receptive and a productive process." pp.
- Swan, Michael: "The influence of the mother tongue on second language acquisition and use." pp. 156-180
- Schmitt, Norbert: "Vocabulary learning strategies." pp. 199-227
- Sökmen, Anita J.: "Current trends in teaching second language vocabulary." pp. 237-257
Krashen, Stephen. 1989. "We acquire vocabulary and spelling by reading: Additional evidence for the Input Hypothesis." The Modern Language Journal, 73-iv, 440-464
Up to the top